This is an authentic South Indian dish that I’ve slightly modified so that anyone can make it with ingredients available at home. Adai is slightly crispy and tastes wonderful !
This rice and lentils pancakes is full of protein and with added spinach, there’s iron too ! It’s perfect with a side of yoghurt or Indian coconut chutney.
1. 3/4 cup basmati rice. Traditionally we use boiled rice but I used basmati rice so that you can easily make it.
2. 1/4 cup red lentils
3. 1/4 cup yellow split peas or chana dhal
4. Handful of spinach, chopped
5. 1 tsp asafoetida, optional. This is to ensure that the lentils don’t give a heavy feeling in little tummies. It’s available in Tesco, Waitrose, Asda etc.
6. Chilli powder, optional to taste
7. Salt to taste
8. Oil to cook
1. Wash and soak the rice and lentils in water for minimum 4 hours.
2. Blend with some water (1/2 to 1 cup) to make a smooth, thick and pourable batter.
3. Mix in spinach, chilli power, salt and asafoetida.
4. Cook them like pancakes on both sides on low-medium hot pan with oil. Don’t cook on really hot pan because they may burn. A very hot temperature might not cook the lentils well.
5. Serve with raitha or chutney.