Curry in 20 minutes ? Yes! This simple and wonderfully flavoured kidney beans curry tastes excellent as is or with some rice or naan. I usually soak the beans overnight, cook it once in a Instant Pot for 20 minutes and the make this curry. But you can use a pack of canned beans and there won’t be any difference in flavour or texture.
1. 1 cup red kidney beans, canned or cooked at home
2. 1/4 cup canned black lentils, optional
3. 2 small tomatoes, puréed
4. 1 clove of garlic
5. A small piece of ginger
6. Salt to taste
7. 1 tsp turmeric
8. 1 tbsp chilli powder, optional
9. 1 tbsp ground cumin
10. 1 tbsp ground coriander
11. 3 tbsp butter to cook
12. 1 tsp garam masala
1. Heat 2 tbsp butter in a pan and fry ginger and garlic.
2. Add puréed tomatoes and let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
3. Add in the spices, salt and beans. You can retain the water that’s in the can for this beautiful colour or wash it and drain it, totally your choice.
4. Simmer the curry for 10 minutes until creamy and well combined. Add a tbsp of butter before serving.
I served it with home made herby Naan. To make naan,
1. Mix 2 parts of self raising flour with one part of Greek yogurt to make a smooth non sticky dough. You can optionally add dried mint powder.
2. Divide the dough into balls and flatten on a floured surface. Cook in a pan and serve.
Simple, delicious and perfect right ? Lentils are an excellent source of protein for your little ones! This curry is healthy, filling and perfect comfort food.
Hands up if you love a good curry ❤️.