Khichdi is one of the ultimate Indian comfort foods. It’s healthy, one pot and perfect for babies too. Add in veggies for extra nutrition. Here’s a recipe for simple and bae-sic Khichdi.
I made this in my Instant pot but you can also make it in pan.
1. 1/4 cup rice
2. 1/4 cup red lentils
3. 1 tbsp butter
4. 1 tsp cumin seeds
5. 1 tsp turmeric
6. Chilli powder, optional/to taste
7. 1/2 tsp curry powder
8. Vegetables to serve – I used spinach and butternut squash.
9. Salt to taste
10. 1 clove garlic
1. Wash rice and lentils well. Add salt, turmeric, curry powder and chilli powder. Cook with 1.5 cups of water until mushy and soft (add more water if needed). In case you’re adding vegetables*, you can cook everything together.
2. Heat butter in a pan and fry garlic and cumin seeds. Add spinach and sauté until cooked. In the same pan, cook butternut squash too.
3. Once the Khichdi is done, serve it with spinach and squash.
*Vegetables that go well with Khichdi: potato, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, peas, carrot, sweet potato.
Please note that Khichdi becomes solid and thicker as it cools. So if you’re reheating it, add a bit of water and give it a boil to bring it to desired consistency.