Super simple one pot (I made it in Instant Pot ) dish that’s warm, comforting and full of nutrients from lentils, this is the simplest and yummmiest dhal! This dhal reeks of flavours from 3 different lentils, tangy tomatoes and spinach and goes well with rice or naan. Last night, we had it with homemade chapati.
- 8 tbsp mixed lentils. I used 2 tbsp split pigeon peas, 3 tbsp red lentils and 3 tbsp split Mung dhal. You can use a single variety of lentil too.
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 handfuls spinach
- Oil to sauté
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash and cook lentils with tomatoes in Instant pot for 20 minutes or pan or pressure cooker.
- Once cooked, heat oil in a pan and fry cumin and garlic.
- Add spinach, salt, turmeric and chilli powder and cook until spinach is wilted.
- Add cooked dhal and let it boil for 5-8 minutes.
You can add coconut milk for flavour but that’ll over power the beautiful flavours of tomatoes and spinach.