Tara has been asking me to make donuts for a really long time and I couldn’t find yeast in any supermarket ! Worst thing is, by mistake I dropped the box of baking powder and ran out of that too! I have a food shop due today and in case I don’t find it, might have to borrow some from my brother (he is just 4 houses away). So yesterday I had some leftover 2 ingredients dough and thought why not try donuts using the leftover! Of course they won’t taste like shop bought donuts! It’s just a cheats recipe
1. 1 cup self raising flour
2. 1/2 cup yoghurt
3. A pot of boiling water
4. 1 tbsp baking soda
5. Fixings to decorate the donuts. I used sweet freedom salted caramel syrup.
1. Mix one cup of self raisin flour (or one cup plain flour plus 1 tsp baking powder) with 1/2 cup yoghurt to make a smooth non sticky dough.
2. Divide the dough into small balls.
3. Flatten each ball between your palms and pop a finger to make the hole. Alternatively, flatten the dough and using a cookie cutter, cut a circle plus a small circle.
4. Heat a pot of water with 1 tbsp baking soda. Once it starts to boil, drop each donut and let it sit for 3-5 seconds. When you give them a nudge with a spoon, they should float on top.
5. Now heat oil and fry the donuts until golden. Sprinkle sugar when hot.
6. Once it cools down completely, decorate with your choice of melted chocolate or syrup