I really can’t think of a dish that’s healthier than this ! Warm, comforting and full of vegetables , this Khichdi is sure to impress little ones. The best thing about Khichdi is you’ll never go wrong! You can make it with any vegetables that you have at home.
I made this in my Instant Pot.
1. 1/2 cup brown rice
2. 1/2 cup mung dhal or any lentils that you have/prefer
3. 3/4 cup chopped vegetables. I used carrot, green beans, peas, spinach and potatoes
4. Salt to taste
5. 1 tsp turmeric powder
6. 1 tbsp minced ginger garlic
7. Chilli powder to taste
8. 1 tsp cumin powder
9. 1 tsp coriander powder
10. 2-3 tbsp Ghee
1. Wash brown rice and lentils in running water.
2. In Instant Pot, add rice, lentils, salt, turmeric and vegetables along with water. Amount of water you add depends on consistency you prefer. I used 3 cups of water. Set it to Pressure cook for 25 minutes. Let the pressure settle.
3. In a small pan, heat ghee. Fry minced ginger and garlic, chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder on low heat.
4. Once you open the Instant Pot, add this to the cooked Khichdi.
5. Serve with yoghurt raitha or roasted vegetables.
You can also make this dish in a pressure cooker or in a pan. Please note that brown rice takes longer to cook in a pan than regular basmati rice.
To make roasted vegetables, coat cauliflower, broccoli and chickpeas in olive oil, cumin powder and turmeric. Roast in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius until golden. Mix in salt once done.