This delicious curry is a family favourite ! It’s packed with fibre and proteins from black eyed peas and is a dish that you can make in a big batch and freeze for busy days.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cups passata
- 1.5 cups black eyed peas
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Chilli powder to taste
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Oil to cook
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp fried fenugreek leaves, optional
- Soak black eyed peas in water for atleast 3 hours and cook in plenty of water in a pressure cooker or a pan. Drain and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat a bit of oil and gently fry chilli powder, garam masala, dried fenugreek, ground cumin and ground coriander. Keep this aside.
- In the same pan, heat some oil and fry ginger garlic paste and after raw smell goes add the onions. Once translucent, add passata, salt and turmeric. Let this cook for 15 minutes on low to medium heat. Once done, blend into a smooth purée.
- Add the cooked peas and water and bring it to boil. Let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Finish off with the fried spice powders.