Khichdi is one the most comforting Indian foods ever ! It’s a simple one pot meal and needs very little prep to be done. Every person has their own way of making Khichdi. I usually make it with equal parts of rice/quinoa/brown rice/bulgar wheat and lentils like mung dhal/split yellow peas/pigeon peas. It’s one of the best ways to sneak in as many veggies as you want ! You can never go wrong with Khichdi and you can use a basic recipe and modify it the way you like, with whatever ingredients you have in hand.
Khichdi prepared with rice and mung dhal is one of the best foods to serve when down with cold or flu. Mung dhal and turmeric that’s used to prepare this dish have anti-inflammatory properties and anti microbial properties that help fight bacteria and other viruses. It’s suitable for babies from 6 months old. It’s very easy to digest and basically a superfood for your body!
1. 1 onion, sliced
2. 3/4 cup mixed vegetables. I used carrots, green beans, peas and potatoes
3. 1/2 cup rice/quinoa
4. 1/2 cup mung dhal
5. Spice powders: turmeric, coriander, cumin, chilli powder, garam masala (optional)
6. Salt to taste
7. Butter to cook
8. 1 tsp fresh ginger and garlic paste
1. Wash and soak rice/quinoa and lentils in hot water for 10-15 minutes.
2. Heat butter in a pan and and fry ginger and garlic paste.
3. Sauté onions and once translucent, add vegetables, spice powders and salt.
4. Add rice/quinoa and lentils and about 2-3 cups of water, depending on consistency that you like. For babies, use more water so it’s mushy and easy to digest. Cook until soft.