Plate and bowl: Bamboo Bamboo
It’s awfully cold outside and I wanted to make a nice rice dish and have it with some warm curry. This rice is very simple to make. I made the rice plain but you can also add veggies of your choice. Also, you can substitute tofu for paneer in the curry.
Recipe for Rice
- 1.5 cups basmati rice, soaked in hot water
- 1 can of coconut milk
- Butter to cook
- 2 large onions, sliced
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Dry spices: 4 pods of cardamom, 3 bay leaves, 4 cloves, 2 pieces of cinnamon, 3 star anise, 1/2 tsp fennel
- Heat butter in a pan and roast dry spices.
- Once fragrant, add onions and cook until golden. Reserve half of golden onions for adding to cooked rice later.
- Add drained rice and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add coconut milk to cover the rice fully (there might be some milk left) and cook until done.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Recipe for curry
- 3 tbsp butter
- 260 gms of panner, cubed
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 4 tbsp thick yoghurt
- Cilantro to garnish
For curry paste:
Roast the following spices in 3 tbsp butter and make a paste with little water:
- 2 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp tamarind
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 red chillies
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- Mix the paste with Greek yoghurt and marinate panner cubes for an hour.
- Heat butter in a pan and fry onions until golden.
- Add marinated paneer, some water depending on the consistency you prefer and cook until gravy thickens. Garnish with cilantro.