Lots of memories attached to Tomato jam. When tomatoes were cheap in the market, like Rs 5 per kilo, my mom would buy 3-4 kilos and make this jam at home. My after school snack was Jam sandwich. Jam sandwich was 2 Marie biscuits with jam in between and frozen for a couple of hours. We had a really small fridge and freezer back then so it was made in small batches.
My mom is here so we made tomato jam today. Back then, she used to make it using refined sugar. This time I told her to make it with coconut sugar because I avoid refined sugars as much as possible.
- 12 medium tomatoes
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Blanch tomatoes in hot water for 20 minutes. Let it cool and remove off the skin.
- Blend the tomatoes and keep aside.
- Heat butter in pan and add the blended tomatoes.
- Add coconut sugar and pinch of salt and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Once it thickens and starts to have big boiling bubbles, remove from heat and let it cool in a jar.
- Keep refrigerated.