We South Indians make a spicy curry or “sundal” with legumes.
Black eyed beans curry used to be something that I’ve always loved! I usually make it with simple curry powder or make the masala version that I learnt from my friends in Pune.
I buy dried beans, soak them in water for a couple of hours, pressure cook them and then add spices. I didn’t know for a really long time that canned black eyed beans are available in supermarkets in UK.
- 1 cup canned black eyed beans
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder (add more if you like)
- Pinch of turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Paprika to taste
- Coriander to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and roast curry powder, turmeric, paprika for a couple of seconds.
- Add the black eyed beans and salt and sauté for 6 minutes until well combined.
- Garnish with coriander and serve as it is or with yogurt.