Beetroot is a vegetable that’s so healthy, yet very little used in my home. Traditional South Indian beetroot curry is made with beetroots, desiccated coconut and cooked in coconut oil with lots of seasoning. I used to hate it so much as a kid.. still remember putting all the beetroot in my brother’s plate and lying to my mom that I finished my vegetable.
I saw fresh bunch of organic beets in tesco and bought it to make something for my daughter. Since it’s getting hot here in UK, I used it to make beetroot raitha.
Raitha is an amazing accompaniment to any dish ! Serve it with traditional Biriyani or pulao or naan or just normal toasted bread or breadsticks … it’s healthy and tasty.
I put a paddle pool and lots of toys in our garden today to enjoy the sunshine. After she was done playing, she had mini soft breadsticks and dipped them in beetroot raitha. I also sneaked in some finely chopped celery in the raitha today.
- A small beetroot
- Cucumber or celery, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt. I used Yeo valley Kefir yogurt.
- Cumin powder
- Coriander to garnish, optional.
- Couple of mint leaves, finely chopped.
- Grate beetroot and cucumber or celery.
- Add Greek yoghurt, mint leaves and mix it well.
- Sprinkle some ground cumin, garnish with coriander and serve chilled.