After doing a recent course on child nutrition and a coincidental increase in my child’s liking of jam, I started worrying about her consumption of processed foods. Where possible, it’s always good to make stuff like jam, sauce, nut butters at home. What we make at home is hygienic, made using the best produce and is free from preservatives and stabilisers that manufacturing companies add and we haven’t heard of.
This jam is too simple to make and its fun for kids to take part and squish the berries.
- 3 cups of strawberries (add any berries that you like)
- 2.5 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 4 tbsp organic coconut sugar (or maple syrup)
- Pinch of salt
- Heat a pan and cook the strawberries. You may either chop the berries or heat them whole and use a hand masher to mash it all.
- Just keep watching it for 15-20 minutes. It will start to thicken.
- Once thickened, add chia seeds, coconut sugar, pinch of salt and cook for further 5-10 minutes.
- Switch off heat and add lime juice.
- Let it cool and store in a sterilised glass jar in the refrigerator.