Back in India, we call this “Baingan Bhartha”. Traditionally, aubergine is roasted on the stove until it turns black and soft. In my home in UK, I have hot plate so roasting on stove is out of scope. You can either roast it in oven or in microwave if you don’t have enough time.
I microwaved the aubergine for about 10 minutes this time because we all were hungry and wanted to have something real quick.
- A large aubergine
- A large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- Couple of green chillies (optional)
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- Paprika as needed
- Pinch of turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Oil as needed.
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- Roast the aubergine and cut into tiny pieces. Keep this aside.
- In a pan, fry the onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic until onions are translucent and raw smell goes away.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, spice powders and cook for 10-15 minutes. The oil starts to separate.
- Add the aubergine pieces and give it all a good mix. Sauté for further 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with fresh naan or basmati rice.